Michael Cusumano, a professor at the MIT Sloan School of Management, had his book Staying Power: Six Enduring Principles for Managing Strategy and Innovation in an Uncertain World reviewed recently in Strategy + Business. While it's billed as a study of the high-tech sector, I believe it's more generally applicable.
Cusumano summarizes his ideas into six principles, and while they may seem like bland truisms or cryptic consultant-speak, they're worth sharing:
- Platforms, not just products
- Services, not just products (or platforms)
- Capabilities, not just strategy
- Pull, not just push
- Scope, not just scale
- Flexibility, not just efficiency
For a bit more detail on these principles without having to read the book, there's a presentation by Cusumano on SlideShare.
- The Enduring Principles of High-Tech Success (Strategy + Business)